Sunday, August 16, 2009

Target: Screwing the Elderly Since... Wait What?

So today I'm going to share a story that actually happened at Target. I've been working a lot of hours lately so the odds of something funny happening have increased. Today, being Sunday and all, was prime for some priceless exchange. Around 1:30 it happened. There was a call on hold for lawn or patio chairs. It's August so a lot of that stuff has been gone for a while now. However that doesn't stop the masses from harassing me about what they do and don't have. The other factor that makes this just one huge clusterfuck is that every store at this point has different amount of inventory left and at different prices. It's really just a crap shoot. And so our tale begins.

I answer the phone call and it's an elderly man. I know this because, well... he sounds old as dirt. Plus he did that fun thing that old folks love to do on the phone where they say what after everything you say. He proceeds to ask me if we have a specific chair in a specific color. It's at this point I know this is going to end badly. Not only is he asking for something we more than likely don't have, but he wantss wants a specific color. I do what I can and make an honest effort to look. I find what he's looking for, at least I think its what he wanted, I'm still not really sure but I rolled with it. He asks me to put 4 of them on hold and I say yes that I could do that. He then asked me what the price of the chairs was. This is when it got fun.

I tell him that the chairs are priced as is at $30 apiece. He wasn't happy about this...AT ALL. He proceeded to tell me this story about how he was in New York and bought 2 of them there for $15 apiece and that he was looking for 4 more, and how come the price is different. In all honesty who buys lawn chairs or patio furniture when they're on vacation in another state? If you know, please enlighten me. I explained to him Target's policy when it comes to pricing seasonal items after the season has ended and that's when he drops this little nugget on me. "I just don't understand why you're sticking it to the elderly. We don't have money like that. Why would you do that? Charging a different price for the same thing." He then tried to haggle with me. At least I think he was trying to haggle with me. I'm not really sure because there was no actual offer. In retrospect I'm surprised he didn't off me a goat or one of his daughter's hands in marriage. Or better yet, one of his goats in marriage or one of his daughters for milk... think about it.

Anyways, I ask him one more time if he wanted the chairs put on hold. He says sure but in that way that kind of tells me "sure put those on hold for me. Go to all that trouble and then I'm not going to come in and get them thus wasting all of your time." I love it when I get that tone from people. the whole conversation becomes a pissing contest, only I'm rendered "pissless" because well... I need my job. So i ask him for the name and he gives it to me. Then...THEN he asks me what my name is. Ultimately I'm sure it's so he can throw me under the bus if in fact he does come in. What an asshole. The long and short of this all tells me that these Target stories suck ass. Seriously if you read this and actually laughed at all... Thank you. I miss my old job. The stories were sooooo much better.

1 comment:

  1. You told me this story over coffee the other day....but it is much funnier in writing....think you might have missed your calling!!

    ReplyDelete